Friday, October 15, 2010

Hello, My Name is Tara and I Am a Grammar Snob....

Unintelligible rant ahead - you have been warned.....
-----
 I have a problem....

In my old age I discovered that I am becoming a grammar snob.  Simple grammatical errors drive me CRAZY.  In fact, they surpass fingernails on a chalkboard as my number one cringe-inducing moment.


Years ago my friend Marcie told us that one of her number one biggest pet peeves was when people used the word "irregardless".  It's incorrect!  The correct terminology is actually: regardless. (Urbandictionary.com has a hysterical definition of irregardless:  "Irregardless of what u think this is not a word")  Even though I agreed with her, I never thought that I would become a grammar tyrant - until now......

I was having a conversation with a woman, and she (repeatedly) told me: "I seen your husband at the mall".  "I seen your boys with him."

Seen? Seen?!?!  There is a time and place for the word seen, and this is not one of them!  I SAW your husband at the mall....    I actually had to excuse myself from the conversation because the use of the word 'seen' was driving me batty!

Similarly, there seems to be a local jargon here where people find it completely appropriate to use the words "yous" (or is it spelled yuz?) and "alls"

"Yous have to see...."
"Alls I'm trying to say is...."


And now that e-mails and texts fly faster than you can say boo, the difference between 'your' (the possessive form of you) and 'you're' (you are) has become non-existent.  Oh, and don't forget the seemingly interchangeable: 'its' and 'it's'!

Forget the whole whether / weather debate.  Principle / Principal.  Basic rules of grammar are being shattered!  Even I know this and I SUCKED at grammar in school!

The worst offender?  A math workbook that Aidan was working on:
Are you KIDDING me?  "How many treats has Jake GOT?"  This is in a child's workbook!!! GAHHH!!!!!! (that sound you just heard was the sound of my head exploding).

OK - irregardless of weather or not yous alls agree with the principal of what I'm saying, its clearly time for me to take a Valium....   (insert evil grin here!!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN! One that I hate is when I hear supposably. It's supposedly, people! Oh, there are so many more--wish I could remember them but then I'd just be mad.

And what about spelling errors in the newspaper? There was one on the cover story on Friday. GRRR!